In 1933, in accordance with the Resolution of the Council of People’s Commissars of the RSFSR of April 15, 1993, the Izhevsk State Medical Institute was organized, which included one faculty, the medical faculty. In August 1933, 171 students were enrolled in the first course of the faculty; the first lecture was given on September 3 in normal anatomy by Professor N.G. Stadnitsky. Over the years of the faculty existence, 60 issues have been conducted. He finished 14057 doctors.
The medical faculty trains doctors in the specialty “General Medicine” for medical institutions of the Udmurt Republic, the Republic of Komi, the Republic of Mari El, the Republic of Bashkortostan, the FMBA, the Federal Penitentiary Service. Since 1991, foreign students from Palestine, Pakistan, Syria, Sri Lanka, Nepal, Angola, Azerbaijan, Armenia, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, and Uzbekistan have been studying at the faculty.
The medical faculty is the largest in Izhevsk State Medical Academy. The faculty consists of 25 departments.
Currently, the faculty enrolled 1860 students. Since 1996, along with the full-time department, students began training at the evening department of the faculty, where 145 students are currently studying.
The clinical base of the faculty is more than 5000 beds. Clinical bases are the largest, leading medical and preventive institutions of the Udmurt Republic and the city of Izhevsk, such as the I Republican Clinical Hospital for 1000 beds, the Republican Clinical Diagnostic Center for 680 beds, City Clinical Hospital № 1, 2, 6, 9 and others. The availability of modern medical and diagnostic equipment at clinical sites, the use of the latest technologies in the medical process allow for practical training with students at a high scientific and practical level.
The training of specialists at the faculty is carried out in accordance with the requirements of the federal state educational standard of higher education, which provides for the study of blocks of humanitarian and socio-economic, mathematical and natural science, medical and biological, medical and preventive and special disciplines. In addition, the curriculum provides for the elective disciplines and practical training after 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 courses. In total, 11880 hours were allocated for the development of educational material in all disciplines.
The first acquaintance of students with patients begins in the departments of propaedeutic disciplines: propaedeutics of internal diseases, general surgery, where students study the methods of clinical research of the patient and get acquainted with the symptoms of many diseases. In the 4th-year clinical departments, students learn clinical thinking, differential diagnosis and various therapies, and in 5-6 courses, students improve their knowledge in diagnosis and treatment, learn to diagnose and prescribe treatment. In the course of study at senior courses, students study the organization of health care, especially the transition to the health insurance system, are on duty at medical institutions, provide medical care at home, operate under the guidance of teachers, participate in the work of medical and preventive institutions to eliminate outbreaks of influenza.
After completing the 6th year, graduates, having passed the last state exams and receiving a medical degree, continue postgraduate training in clinical internship and clinical internship at the main specialized departments of the Izhevsk State Medical Academy under the guidance of faculty members and experienced practitioners. After graduation, graduates can also continue their professional and scientific training in graduate school and clinical residency.
At the medical faculty, doctors of a wide profile are trained to work in all medical institutions: polyclinics, hospitals, dispensaries, maternity hospitals, sanatorium-resort institutions as therapists, surgeons, obstetricians, neurologists, psychiatrists, oculists, forensic experts, pathologists and others.
The structure of the medical faculty includes 25 departments:
- Department of Biochemistry
- Department of Pedagogy, Psychology and Psychosomatic Medicine
- Department of Physical Culture
- Department of Disaster Medicine and Life Safety
- Department of Histology, Embryology and Cytology
- Department of Human Anatomy
- Department of Pathological Anatomy
- Department of Normal Physiology
- Department of General and Clinical Pharmacology
- Department of Forensic Medicine with a course of forensic histology
- Department of Public Health and Health Care
- Department of Operative Surgery and Topographic Anatomy
- Department of Internal Medicine Propaedeutics with a course of nursing
- Department of General Surgery
- Department of Psychiatry, Narcology and Medical Psychology
- Department of Neurology, Neurosurgery and Medical Genetics
- Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology
- Department of Hospital Therapy with courses of cardiology and functional methods for diagnosing with courses for cardiology and functional methods for diagnosing
- Department of Infectious Diseases and Epidemiology
- Department of Hospital Surgery
- Department of Phthisiology
- Department of Traumatology, Orthopedics and Military Field Surgery
- Department of Oncology
- Department of polyclinic therapy with courses of clinical pharmacology and preventive medicine
- Department of Medical Rehabilitation and Sports Medicine